Thursday, September 27, 2007

French Lessons in the states

I am consistently given the advice that, when in France, always try to speak French first, then once the Frenchie see's you are useless, they will (hopefully) return to you in English. So fine, I have no problem doing that. But a few weeks ago I attended this inline skating event here in NYC and met a few frenchies who were very impressive skaters. Particularly Chloe, she has this one behind the leg with the other leg in the opposite hand whilst twisting and slaloming thru cones. Its pretty cool.

Ok so I mustered up the confidence to approach her and make my introduction. I said "Hello, I'm AnnaLisa" and she starred at me as if she didn't understand. I then said "J'mappelle AnnaLisa" to which she finally responded "Oh, I'm Chloe". Hmmmmmmmmm.

I thought this interaction over for about a half a second and realized that I need to get used to this. Although, my disclaimer for this incident would be that I assumed, being in the states, that it would be KOSHER to speak first in English. However, to a French person, or at least to Chloe, this was not acceptable.

A few minutes later I was introduced to another Frenchie and had a similar interaction. Or at least I felt slightly...looking for the word here...demeaned? or just felt bad/wierd. I dont know. He refused to tell me where people skate in Paris. He simply said "the south". Which did nothing to narrow down the location for me. After some probing, I got him to mention "near the public library" which I will have to look up. I haven't yet. I'm still upset because I hate to be hated. I need lovin all the time day and nite!!

haha. kidding. well mostly kidding.

1 comment:

momo said...

Chloe and other French dude didn't understand you when you first spoke in English. That's why you got those responses. (Also remember, the Parisians always have a distinct disdainful look on their faces.) It wasn't personal, I'm pretty sure. They are in America- they understand people speak English here and they can't totally hate America, since they are here. As for that comment about Parisians hating everyone, well, see comment above. so yes, speak French first, then blather away in your own special AnnaLisa language!